CABALKAS' IN THE CONGO

Thanks for visiting our blog! We'd love to hear from you.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

What Happens When The Lights Go Out!!!!!




Last night our lights went out (and stayed out for a couple of hours)....this has been way more typical lately then when I first got here in August. Well, Grace and I started playing cards by candle light out in our porch and at one point Grace said we needed to take a picture of our experience of being in the dark (NOW I KNOW MANY OF YOU HAVE FELT LIKE I....STEVE....HAVE BEEN IN THE DARK FOR YEARS). Well, I started playing around with my time elapse shots and got what I think are some very interesting shots.

The top one is just cool cuz of the double image of both of us. The middle one is shot from outside our home through the screen at Grace playing solitaire while I play with my camera. The bottom one is my favorite as it is a time exposed shot of those flowers that I call the 'Cobra flower' (look at earlier blog pictures to see more of these flowers).....I left the lens open for 25 seconds on a full moon lit evening with my Canon on a tripod. The only light on those flowers comes from the moon. I love that! I hope you enjoy it too.

That's what we do when the lights go out....well...that's not all we do.....(one thing we don't do it is microwave popcorn.....duh, Libby...with no electricity the microwave doesn't work! Oh, yea........Libby, we don't even have a microwave! Nor a mixer, toaster, TV, and a few more things either....Grace said we are missing our friends and family too.......true but we have made many new friends that we have come to love and respect here in the Congo). Enjoy!!!!

5 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys. we miss you both here. sorry that this is my first post with you. We're doing well here. I love the pictures!
Thanks for not giving us more info about when the lights go out! :)
I'll write more later. you guys are in my prayers.
Nate

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grace : Nice to hear from you hope you are doing well. Vickie & I have been praying for you.Great pictures. It looks like this is a real adventure you are going thru. Keep up the good work. Oh Yeah if you see Steve tell him we said hello. Love Ken & Vickie

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pictures are sooooooo cool!! Plus it brought back a flood of memories for me. Growing up in southern Brazil when we only had electricity until 6pm, then we did everything by candle light or kerosene lantern. We thought we were quite something when a couple years later we had electricity until 9pm. However, if it ever rained or stormed, then forget having electricity at all--day or night. I have played many a game and read many a book by candle light. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
You continue to be in our prayers!! We love you guys!
Lita

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger cabalka said...

I get so bummed thinking that Kenny Beggs is reading our blog....I guess he still doesn't realize that I am here with Grace. I am surprised that Ken Beggs (anonymous) would write anything....I didn't think he knew how to read!

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh MY is Steve with Grace. When did he leave?Maybe that's why I'm the loud one at LBC now!BTW you don't have to know how to read if someone helps you write. I was just thinking of Steve without light. Is there anyway you can lose the sound? Steve if you see Grace tell her we love her. Love Ken & Vickie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home